What is the Incubator?
The Intersection Incubator provides assistance to individual artists and organizations as they work to develop and sustain their artistic work. A full program of services and partnerships is available, including continuing education, networking opportunities, access to consultants, and resources for fundraising. Fiscal sponsorship encourages funding agencies and contributors to take risks in financially supporting new projects and emerging artists, ensuring that money is well-managed and spent according to guidelines. Currently the Intersection Incubator provides support to more than 100 art projects and organizations across numerous disciplines and levels of experience, representing the extraordinary diversity of the San Francisco Bay Area cultural community.
“Intersection’s Incubator allowed Litquake to develop our programming and build our name without worrying about financial management. This allowed us to focus on our passion for writing full-time until we felt we were big enough to take on financial management, too. Without the resources, advice, and encouragement Intersection offered, Litquake would never have been able to grow and flourish the way it has.” Elise Proulx
We believe that collaboration makes a home base for artists to develop their work and earn a living. We have been providing incubation and fiscal sponsorship since 1977, as an integral part of our organizational mission.
Membership in the Intersection Incubator entitles you to the following services:
- Access to charitable grants and tax-deductible contributions through fiscal sponsorship, including monetary or in-kind donations
- Resources for identifying available grants, including training on common applications
- Staff consultation on writing appeal letters, grant applications and reports to funders
- Formal acknowledgment to funding sources, including tax deduction letters to donors for cash or in-kind contributions (as permitted by law)
- Administration of grant funds to ensure that expenditures are in keeping with original proposals and contracts
- Ability to receive credit card donations via our website
- Management of funds deposited at Intersection, including bookkeeping, IRS reporting, check-writing, and quarterly account statements
- Tracking of fees paid to individuals and administration of 1099 tax forms
- Promotional assistance, including links from our website, use of Intersection’s mailing list, and a location for promotional materials in Intersection’s lobby
- Newsletter featuring upcoming classes and funding opportunities
- Reduced rates for rental of Intersection’s facilities and/or technical equipment
- Ticket discounts for performances at Intersection
Please note that the Intersection Incubator does NOT itself award grants or apply for grants on behalf of its members. Instead, it provides Incubator Members with the access and resources to apply for outside funding sources that are legally restricted to funding only 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. Click here for more information on the concept of fiscal sponsorship.
Through community partnerships, we provide access to discounted classes and consulting services in fundraising, marketing, arts administration, event planning, and legal issues. These opportunities include:
- Members-only classes in grant-seeking through the Foundation Center
- Grant deadline updates and orientations to specific applications through Nancy E. Quinn Associates
- Workshops on legal issues and access to lawyers through California Lawyers for the Arts
- Classes on a wide range of arts management topics through the East Bay Resource Center for Nonprofit Support, Theatre Bay Area, and the Small Business Administration
Past & Current Members
Many Incubator Members have gone on to have lasting impact, including Youth Speaks, Galeria de la Raza, Litquake, Bay Area Girls Rock Camp, Summerfest Dance, San Francisco Blues Festival, Manic D Press, Heyday Books, Crowded Fire Theater Company, Killing My Lobster, and Voice of Witness. Our current Incubator Members include: Erika Shuch Performance Project, Felonious: onelovehiphop, Red Poppy Art House, StageWrite, and Campo Santo. Please check out the full list of our current Incubator Members.
For more information, please contact:
Randy Rollison, Program Director: Artist Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org(415) 626-2787 ext. 102.